As many wise people say - repeatedly - why wait to tell someone that you love them, that you think they are nice, kind, smart, trendy or just really handsome? If you wait, will the situation change? The answer is: maybe. Why is it maybe? Because you might lose the opportunity to tell the person what you feel and they will never know and you will have lost an opportunity to make that person happy. That is a real pity. You would kick yourself more than you think if you were the one having missed that opportunity.
I'm not kicking myself. I told my dad that I loved him many times and I tried to show it in my own way as well. For that I'm happy. But it also makes me think that we can make so many other people happy just by saying the truth. If the truth is a positive thing. The expression "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it" is very often used, but I have never heard of a similar expression for the contrary; "if you have something nice to say - say it!!". In our society today, it even goes as far as to scepticism towards kindness. If someone says something nice to you, you might even wonder "what does this person want from me? It can't be that he/she is just being nice. There has to be an ulterior motive". Sad. So true and so sad. I have to admit I used to be one of the people with those sceptic thoughts, even though they were relatively "small". I'm still working on removing those. More importantly, I'm working on improving my communication of happy truths to the people in my surrounding. Not just to my friends and family but to people I work with, people on the tube or in the supermarket. If I have something nice to say and if I can find the courage to say it and make sure I don't sound like a weird person, I say it: "I like your hat", for example. You usually get a smile back. That truly brightens up one's day, according to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment